Email is Dead! Long Live Email! It's 2020 and who does email marketing anymore? Email seems sooo 2010. Here's the big secret, email is still one of the most powerful tools that you can use to engage your existing customers as well as to create opportunities for new business. According to emailmonday.com, email generates $38.00 in revenue for each $1.00 spent. Okay, that's a 3800% return on investment. Let THAT sink in.
Whether you work in the B2B space, or the B2C, email can help you grow your business in 2020. We've compiled a list of 20 fun tips, facts, and stats to help you get excited about email marketing in 2020.
20 💌EMAIL TIPS, FACTS, AND STATS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- 93% of B2B marketers use email to distribute content. Are you one of them?
- There are 3.9 BILLION active email users. We're betting your clients are among them.
- 83% of B2B companies use e-newsletters as part of their content marketing program.
- 40% of B2B marketers say email newsletters are most critical to their content marketing success.
- It's estimated that U.S. marketers spent over 350 million dollars on email advertising in 2019. 💰💰💰
- ⏰82% of workers check email outside of work hours.⏰
- 📲k60% of email opens happen on a mobile device.📲
- Apple iPhone is the most popular mobile client for reading emails with 29% of all opens occurring on this platform. Gmail is a close runner-up at 27%.
- 73% of millennials prefer communications from businesses to come via email.
- 9 out of 10 businesses perceive email marketing as a channel of great strategic importance for achieving business goals.📊
- User generated content (product/service reviews, social postings, video of product usage) has email as a primary stimulus for creation. Need reviews? Use email to ask.
- 🔥Interactivity is the hottest 2020 trend 🔥(animated buttons, rollovers of product info, accordion features to make longish emails appear more compact). Interactivity that allows the reader to never leave the platform is solid gold.
- Automation and Segmentation are crucial for email campaign success.
- A/B testing allows you to see what is and isn't working in your emails.
- Personalization allows the reader to experience 1:1 communication from a 1:many email.
- Email should be written so that it engages when you read it, but also as you have it read to you by SIRI, or Alexa, or Google. Try reading your copy aloud before you hit publish.🔈🔈
- Place CTAs early and often to maximize the mobile experience.
- Use automation to trigger email and other interactions based on user activity. Expect AI to take a larger role in this.
- Less is more. Use white space, keep text concise and messaging relevant. Be willing to be a minimalist. Remember, your very busy reader will most likely be looking at this on their phone, on the go. Get to the point.
- Look before you leap. Check your email rendering on as many platforms as possible. How does that image look on a phone? How do the text breaks work on a tablet. Is the alignment correct on a desktop?
If you'd like, we're happy to have a conversation about email campaigns, and how email automation can drive your business in 2020. Whether we do it for you or consult with you on how to do it yourself, we're here to help.
As a start, you can click here to download our Beginners Guide to Email Marketing. Written by our partners at HubSpot, it gives you some quick actionable wins to get your email marketing underway.